Friday, March 2, 2012

What is bipolar...

Explaining to you what I am dealing with..
  1. Stripped down to basics, people with bipolar disorder have mood swings, from elation to depression, that don't necessarily have anything to do with what's going on in their lives.

  2. Bipolar disorder is also called manic depression, and it appears to be caused by electrochemical abnormalities in the brain.

  3. TV shows like to show people with bipolar disorder as criminals, but don't worry -- only a small percentage are ever violent, and I'm not one of them!

  4. "Mania" and "manic" don't mean "crazy" -- they refer to extra high emotions, full of energy, fast talking, not needing much sleep, excessive spending, brain racing.

  5. I am a slow cycler -- that means I cycle through my emotions slowly, for no obvious reason. I am Bipolar 2 which means I am mainly in a depressive cycle.

  6. I get into what are called "mixed states" when I seem to have a lot of energy but at the same time am really down, angry or panicky. I am here alot.

  7. There are a lot of possible medications for bipolar disorder.

  8. When I'm manic, I have particular problems with spending too much money, talking too much, not making a lot of sense, racing thoughts.

  9. Inappropriate anger can be a symptom of bipolar disorder. I might say or have said hurtful things that I really don't mean -- I'm sorry! Finding the right medication should help control that behavior.

  10. When I get depressed or into a mixed state, I sometimes feel suicidal. That's my illness talking -- but it's serious. You might have to get me to a hospital if I seem really bad.

  11. Bipolar disorder seems to be inherited but the exact cause is not known yet.
I really hope this helps explain things alittle better about what is going on...

No comments:

Post a Comment